MASTER: Specialist Investments
Our brand new workshop, MASTER: Specialist Investments will take you through a range of topics covering those slightly less vanilla investment choices for clients. We have five fantastic speakers lined up to guide you through four hours of CPD focusing on EIS / VCT / BPR schemes as well as investment choices in SIPP’s and SSAS’s. The sessions will cover when those investments are suitable for certain clients and will outline some compliance considerations when adding these to a portfolio.
This workshop will be delivered in our usual style, interactive with small delegate numbers to ensure that you get the most out of the sessions.
Find out more about our MASTER events below:
We have pulled together some of the best speakers from the most well-known firms in the industry to provide you with four hours of high-quality content. This event will feature speakers from Barnett Waddingham, MICAP, Intelligent Partnership, Octopus Investments and Canada Life.
SIPP and SSAS Portfolios – Barnett Waddingham
James will examine the range of specialist investments that are commonly found within SIPP and SSAS portfolios including loans, unquoted shares, gold bullion and commercial property. In addition to highlighting some caveats for those looking to undertake these types of investments, James will outline how the Capital Adequacy regime has impacted the ability of SIPP providers to accept some of these investments since 2016. James will list some types of investments that are often linked with SIPPs and SSASs, but where significant tax charges could arise for both members and scheme administrators as a result of investing in them.
Introduction to Business Relief (BR) – Intelligent Partnership
In this session, Guy will be discussing:
- How business relief came about and how it’s changed.
- The benefits for investors and companies.
- The risks to consider.
- The businesses that qualify and the investment structures that give you access to them.
- Useful interactions with other reliefs and IHT planning solutions.
- Questions to assess client suitability.
- What to consider when looking at BR offers.
- Planning scenarios – what BR can achieve.
Evidencing your researching and reporting on BR, EIS & VCT investments – MICAP
In this session, MICAP will outline ‘what good looks like’ when researching tax-efficient investments including:
- Creating a personalised audit trail of your research for each client.
- The need for product comparisons on every client file.
- Understanding how to use reviews to populate your suitability reports.
- Why being able to properly report client positions mitigates complaints.
Introduction to VCTs and EIS – Octopus Investments
In this session Charlotte will be looking at:
- Why VCTs and EIS exist, the difference between the structures, the benefits of investing into them, the types of businesses they back.
- How each can be used with a variety of clients (planning scenarios).
- What to look for when choosing between different providers.
Investments Within Trusts – Canada Life
There are many considerations for trustees and their financial advisers when considering the investment strategy of a trust – in this session, Neil will be outlining:
- The financial objectives of the trust.
- The tax status of the trust and its beneficiaries.
- The permissible investments available to the trustees.
- The legal requirements of the trust provisions.
Charlotte Fairhurst, Strategic Partnerships Manager – Octopus Investments
For the last four years, Charlotte has spearheaded Octopus’ professional connections initiatives, working closely with professional bodies such as ICAEW, STEP and The Law Society.
James Jones-Tinsley, Self-Invested Pensions Technical Specialist – Barnett Waddingham LLP
James Jones-Tinsley is the Self-Invested Pensions Technical Specialist at Barnett Waddingham LLP and assists colleagues in both the SSAS and SIPP Practice Areas on a wide range of technical matters relating to the operation and governance of Barnett Waddingham’s self-invested pension arrangements.
Guy Tolhurst, Managing Director – Intelligent Partnership
Guy launched Intelligent Partnership 10 years ago after seeing great opportunities to better serve investment providers, financial advisers and wealth managers across a diverse range of investment strategies and sectors. Intelligent Partnership has naturally evolved into an award-winning and trusted provider of accredited research, events, insights and education on a range of alternative investments.
Sam Michie, Relationship Manager – MICAP
After starting his career as a futures trader in the City of London, Sam moved to Shanghai in 2008 to work in wealth management. This led to Sam spending four years as a Business Development Manager with St James’s Place in Asia. After relocating back to London, Sam joined MICAP as a Relationship Manager.
Neil Jones, Market Development Manager – Canada Life
Neil is a financial services specialist with over 30 years of experience in the adviser marketplace and with providers. He specialises in tax planning in both onshore and offshore environments and estate planning. In 2019, Neil was added to International Adviser’s top 100.
When? 19th May 2021.
Cost? £145 + VAT for clients of The Verve Group or £195 + VAT for Non-Clients
How do I sign up?
Simply sign up below.